Hello my lovelies,
People always ask me what I do for breakfast on Christmas day. And the simple answer is that I cheat!
Waitrose does packs of unbaked pastries in their freezer section. I get these and bake them on Christmas morning. The house smells amazing what with pain au chocolat and croissants baking and the Starbucks Christmas blend percolating. It’s a simple breakfast because for the rest of the morning I’m in and out of the kitchen.
Because we have Christmas dinner around 2-ish, I put out whatever hasn’t been eaten from the Christmas eve menu. I usually put out some mince pies too.
We usually do turkey but this year we felt like switching it up a little and are having beef. We of course kept the gammon that we always have but have changed the way we are cooking it. So we’re having:
- Cherry Cola slow cooked gammon with cranberry glaze
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddings and gravy
- Devils on horseback (prunes wrapped in prunes)
- Turkey meatballs (my little nod to the turkey tradition)
- Roast potatoes
- Honey parsnips
- Creamed spinach
- Green beans
- Glazed carrots
- Sweet potato fluff (sweet potatoes with butter and melted marshmallows)
For dessert I’m making:
- Rum and Raisin ice cream (hubby asked for this! I know! Weird one!)
- Peppermint crisp tart (another of our traditions and a favourite from our South African roots)
- Cape Brandy tart and vanilla ice cream (another favourite from South Africa). This recipe and picture below is from Cook Sister‘s website.
I love our Christmas day feast and I assure you we don’t eat like this every day! For most of the year I’m on a diet but you’d never say!
What do you like to have on Christmas day?
Mama R x